Friday, October 1, 2010

A "shoe that fits"

I wish dating was as fun as finding the perfect shoe. With shoes the hunt is a thrill! So many choices, so many varieties, colors, shapes, designs, buckles, sling backs, flats, pumps, oh my goodness, I'm getting excited just thinking about it. I buy the perfect shoe. I wear the perfect shoe then oh no, they cause the perfect blister. OUCH, but who cares, no need to be upset. I go get my Dr. Scholl's inserts, fix them up a bit and me and that shoe are set for life. Even if they start looking a bit rugged I keep them because, lets face it, memorable times in shoes trumps making room in my closet every time! And even more exciting the only baggage they come with is the bag in which I carried them out of the store! Wow, I think I need to go shopping!

When dating, the hunt is more like the feeling you get on one of those enormous slow moving ferris wheels. Excited for the first fifteen minutes to the top. I have the perfect seat, a beautiful view and the heat from the sun warming my face. Oh sounds great, BUT, then I realize that sitting next to me is a crying baby. He can't help that he's crying but nonetheless, he is making this trip hard for everyone! Instantly, I cannot wait for this ride to be over and once back on the ground I drop to my knees and pray to God that soon, oh so very soon, I will find the perfect ferris wheel ride b/c I just cannot take another like this one.

Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit dramatic here but after last weeks dating debacle (and those of dating past) I am feeling a bit concerned about my possibility of finding a Dr. Scholl's adjusted "shoe that fits". I feel like I'm dating perfectly normal guys from a first impression stand point. Here's a quick review of my recent Saturday night festivities (should be noted that this was a second date after a pretty great first date).

The good, the bad and super bad:

1. Immediate compliment of "you look really nice"---GOOD
2. Later in the evening "nice" from the earlier sentence turned into "hot" and included a wink---BAD
3. Even later, he just started referring to me as "arm candy"---SUPER BAD

1. He invited me over to his place for a drink before heading to the bar---GOOD
2. He didn't have any liquor at his house and the place was grossly dirty---BAD
3. He dragged me with him to the grocery store to buy liquor for us. Of all the options in the store, he purchased tequila for pre-bar shots---BAD
4. Proceeded to fill a flask with the tequila, stuffed it into his jacket pocket and proclaimed "now we won't have to buy drinks at the bar" ---SUPER BAD (btw, he also took about 4 shots before leaving his place).

1. Loved to dance---GOOD
2. After making it clear that there was no way I was drinking tequila out of his flask he bought me drinks---GOOD
3. Ran into his ex-girlfriend's friends---mostly just BAD for him (could have been avoided if he hadn't taken me to a place him and his ex frequented...duh!)
4. Pouted and walked out of the room leaving me standing alone (God forbid if I'm going to follow this clown) not too far from his ex-girlfriend's friends AND long enough for another guy to walk over to me and attempt to hit on me (no kidding)---SUPER BAD

I ended the night giving him a lecture on how it wasn't a good idea to take intelligent and confident women on his "rebound adventures" and that if he insisted on doing so he would need to find one that was much more willing to put up with this crap. He was very receptive, hehehehe!

Thanks for reading! I'm off to go shopping...for shoes!

No comments: